© National Portrait Gallery, London
by Richard James Lane, printed by Day & Son, published by Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co, after Joanna Hilary Bonham Carter, after John Pinches Click on the links below to find out more
lithograph, published 28 November 1854
22 3/8 in. x 15 1/8 in. (568 mm x 383 mm) paper size
Given by Austin Lane Poole, 1956
- Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), Reformer of hospital nursing and of the Army Medical Services. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Joanna Hilary Bonham Carter (1821-1865), Artist. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- Paul and Dominic Colnaghi & Co (active 1830-1890), Printsellers and publishers. Artist associated with 90 portraits.
- Day & Son (active 1824-1855), Lithographic printers. Artist associated with 38 portraits.
- Richard James Lane (1800-1872), Sculptor and lithographer. Artist associated with 1205 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Pinches (active 1846-died 1905). Artist associated with 4 portraits.
The Working Men's College in London is founded by Frederick Maurice, who along with Charles Kingsley, a leading proponent of Christian Socialism, mocked by its opponents as 'muscular Christianity'. Christian Socialism attempted to combine the fundamental aims of socialism with the ethics of Christianity.William Howard Russell is sent to cover the Crimean war by his paper, The Times
; his dispatches mark the start of modern war correspondence.
Art and science
The artist William Powell Frith paints his famous Ramsgate Sands, Life at the Seaside
, an astute observation of modern leisure time.Dr John Snow, the founder of epidemiology, discovers that cholera is spread by water, rather than air, following the deaths of 500 people in ten days who had drank from a water pump in Broad Street. The Public Health Act is passed in response, setting up the General Board of Health.
Britain enters the Crimean war on 31 March, after an alliance is formed between Turkey, France, Sardinia and Britain against Russia. Florence Nightingale achieves great fame in introducing modern nursing techniques to the battlefield, earning her the title 'Lady with the Lamp'.