Lady Ottoline Morrell
13 of 595 portraits of Lady Ottoline Morrell
Lady Ottoline Morrell
by Unknown photographer
sepia-toned platinotype on card mount, 1889
3 1/2 in. x 2 3/8 in. (90 mm x 60 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Sitter associated with 595 portraits, Artist associated with 1700 portraits.
Events of 1889back to top
Current affairsThe London Dock strike takes place resulting in a victory for the dock workers striking over pay and conditions.Prevention of Cruelty to Children Act, allowing legal intervention between children and parents for the first time.Charles Booth, the English social scientist, publishes the first volume of Life and Labour of the People, an extensive survey into the living conditions of London's East End working class communities.
Art and scienceGeorge Gissing's The Nether World, a dark account of the lives of the urban poor in Clerkenwell, is published. Gissing absorbs the French naturalist style of writers such as Emile Zola to produce a harshly realistic observation of life in London at the end of the nineteenth century.
InternationalThe Eiffel Tower is erected, designed by the French engineer and bridge builder Alexandre Gustave Eiffel for the Paris Exposition. At 300m high, it was the tallest manmade structure in the world at the time.The Second International organisation is formed at a Congress in Paris by various socialist and labour parties, with the intention of working together for international socialism. It also declared 1 May International Labour Day.
Exhibitions and displays
- Celebrating Charlotte Brontë: 1816 – 1855
Until 14 August
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- A Celebration of Shakespeare
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- The Beautiful and the Damned