'Picnic in the woods'
1 portrait of Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell
'Picnic in the woods'
by Unknown photographer
vintage snapshot print, September 1915
2 3/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (59 mm x 98 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Faith Marian Jane Henderson (née Bagenal) (1889-1979), Wife of Sir Hubert Douglas Henderson; daughter of Philip H. Bagenal. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Sitter associated with 596 portraits, Artist associated with 1709 portraits.
- Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell (1872-1970), Philosopher, mathematician and social reformer. Sitter in 114 portraits.
- (Giles) Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter in 143 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Oxfordshire (Garsington, Oxfordshire)
Events of 1915back to top
Current affairsThe Times Newspaper reports that Britain's Army is suffering from a lack of Ammunition Shells, pointing the finger of blame at the Liberal government. The Shell Scandal forced Asquith to form a new coalition government, bringing Conservatives into the cabinet and demonstrating the need to gear the whole country's economy towards the war effort.
Art and scienceAs the threat from aerial attack increased, the decision was made to protect the national art collections by storing them in basements or in locations outside London. On 15th October the National Portrait Gallery under the directorship of Sir Charles John Holmes closed its doors to the public and removed paintings from the walls.
InternationalStalemate ensues on the Western Front and trench warfare begins as both sides take up defensive positions. While offensive strategies become futile, serious loss of life occurs with the first deployment of tanks and the use of poison gas.Albert Einstein publishes his General Theory of Relativity, a model of gravitation and cosmology.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Party Trail
- Lives and Letters
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- Photographic holdings - Albums 76-162
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- Lillah McCarthy
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Rupert Brooke: War Poet
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Jean Simmons: a life in pictures
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen