6 of 39 portraits of L.P. Hartley
by Lady Ottoline Morrell
vintage snapshot print, 1923
5 3/8 in. x 3 1/4 in. (135 mm x 83 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Artist associated with 1709 portraits, Sitter associated with 596 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Lord David Cecil (1902-1986), Scholar, teacher and writer. Sitter in 74 portraits.
- Sylvester Govett Gates (1901-1972), Son of Walter George Gates. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Hon. Robert Gathorne-Hardy (1902-1973), Author; son of 3rd Earl of Cranbrook. Sitter in 48 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Leslie Poles ('L.P.') Hartley (1895-1972), Novelist and critic. Sitter in 39 portraits.
- Clifford Henry Benn Kitchin (1895-1967), Novelist. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Philip Charles Thomson Ritchie (1899-1927), Son of Charles Ritchie, 2nd Baron Ritchie of Dundee. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- Edward Sackville-West, 5th Baron Sackville (1901-1965), Writer and music critic. Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Oxfordshire (Garsington Manor, Oxfordshire)