8 of 30 portraits of Anthony Asquith
by Lady Ottoline Morrell
vintage snapshot print, 1923
2 1/8 in. x 3 in. (55 mm x 75 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Anthony Asquith (1902-1968), Film director; youngest son of Herbert Henry Asquith, 1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith. Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
- Thomas Stearns ('T.S.') Eliot (1888-1965), Poet. Sitter in 66 portraits.
- Leslie Poles ('L.P.') Hartley (1895-1972), Novelist and critic. Sitter in 39 portraits.
- Edward Sackville-West, 5th Baron Sackville (1901-1965), Writer and music critic. Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Artist associated with 1709 portraits, Sitter associated with 596 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Oxfordshire (Garsington Manor, Oxfordshire)
Events of 1923back to top
Current affairsStanley Baldwin begins the first of three terms of government as Conservative Prime Minister following the resignation of Andrew Bonar Law.
Art and scienceBolton Wanderers beat West Ham United in the first FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. The Cup Final was held at Wembley every year except during the war until 2000.
InternationalHitler attempts to take power in Germany with the Munich Beer Hall Putsch. On the 8th November Hitler and the SA stormed a meeting of the ruling 'triumvirs' forcing them to support a march on Berlin. The coup, however, failed and Hitler was arrested and sentences to five years in prison.
See this portrait
On display at Imperial War Museum, London
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Herbert Wells
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Igor Stravinsky
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Ludwig van Beethoven
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Barbara Hepworth
- Only Connect - installation video
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Party Trail