11 of 39 portraits of L.P. Hartley
by Lady Ottoline Morrell
vintage snapshot print, June 1923
2 1/2 in. x 3 3/4 in. (64 mm x 95 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Artist associated with 1696 portraits, Sitter associated with 595 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Lord David Cecil (1902-1986), Scholar, teacher and writer. Sitter associated with 74 portraits.
- Goldsworthy Lowes Dickinson (1862-1932), Philosopher. Sitter associated with 29 portraits.
- Leslie Poles ('L.P.') Hartley (1895-1972), Novelist and critic. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Philip Edward Morrell (1870-1943), Politician and husband of Lady Ottoline Morrell. Sitter associated with 191 portraits, Artist associated with 341 portraits.
- Edward Sackville-West, 5th Baron Sackville (1901-1965), Writer and music critic. Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- (Giles) Lytton Strachey (1880-1932), Critic and biographer; son of Sir Richard Strachey. Sitter in 136 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Julian Ottoline Vinogradoff (nÃ©e Morrell) (1906-1989), Daughter of Lady Ottoline Morrell; former wife of Sir Victor Goodman, and later wife of Igor Vinogradoff. Sitter associated with 409 portraits, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Virginia Woolf (nÃ©e Stephen) (1882-1941), Novelist and critic; sister of Vanessa Bell. Sitter in 63 portraits.
- Gallery Tour: Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision
28 August, 19:00
- Lunchtime Lecture: Virginia and Vanessa: Sisters, Artists, Conspirators
7 August, 13:15
Related shop items
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Mini-print
- Virginia Woolf by Geroge Charles Beresford Postcards
- Virginia Woolf Fridge Magnet
- Penguin A Room of One's Own Journal
- Brilliant Women catalogue (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- Famous Faces Playing Cards