Queen Elizabeth I
1 portrait of Queen Elizabeth I
Queen Elizabeth I
after Unknown artist
line engraving, circa 1587
6 3/4 in. x 6 3/4 in. (173 mm x 172 mm) plate size; 8 1/8 in. x 8 1/8 in. (205 mm x 206 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1960
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 128 portraits.
This portraitback to top
It is likely that this unusual circular portrait of Elizabeth I was engraved by a Netherlandish artist. It was probably produced in Antwerp for a continental market during the period that English troops were fighting against the Spanish in Flanders.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain (7 July 2007 - 9 December 2007)
Events of 1587back to top
Current affairsExecution of Mary, Queen of Scots for conspiring to assassinate Queen Elizabeth I. Elizabeth signs the death warrant of her cousin with considerable misgivings. Queen Elizabeth I forces Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester to resign his post as Governor-General of the Netherlands.Sir Francis Drake sacks the Spanish port Cadiz thereby forcing Philip II of Spain to postpone his planned invasion of England by a year.
Art and scienceFirst performance of Christopher Marlowe's Tamburlaine the Great.The property developer Philip Henslowe builds the Rose Theatre in Southwark, London. The Protestant reformer John Knox's History of the Reformation in Scotland is published posthumously.
InternationalBirth of Virginia Dare, the first English child to be born in America. She is granddaughter to John White, the governor of the second colony to be established on Roanoke Island (in present-day North Carolina, USA). Pope Sixtus V calls for a Catholic crusade against England to depose the Protestant Queen Elizabeth.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- Concealed and Revealed: The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- WebQuest: Elizabeth I's New Portrait
- WebQuest: Painting Elizabeth I
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- WebQuest: Famous People Guy Fawkes
- Concealed and Revealed:
The Changing Faces of Elizabeth I
- My Favourite Portrait by Fiona Shaw
- My Favourite Portrait by P.D. James
- Hidden: Unseen Paintings Beneath Tudor Portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project