© National Portrait Gallery, London
Lady Munro-Lucas-Tooth with her children
by Bassano Ltd Click on the links below to find out more
whole-plate film negative, 8 December 1933
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
- Jennifer Mary Henderson (née Munro-Lucas-Tooth) (1929-), Wife of John Desmond Henderson; daughter of Sir Hugh Munro-Lucas-Tooth, 1st Bt. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Sir (Hugh) John Lucas-Tooth, 2nd Bt (1932-), Son of Sir Hugh Munro-Lucas-Tooth, 1st Bt. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Laetitia Florence (née Findlay), Lady Munro-Lucas-Tooth (1903-1978), Wife of Sir Hugh Munro-Lucas-Tooth, 1st Bt; daughter of Sir John Ritchie Findlay, 1st Bt. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- (Laetitia) Helen (née Munro-Lucas-Tooth), Lady Oppenheimer (1926-), Writer on moral and philosophical theology; wife of Sir Michael Oppenheimer, 3rd Bt; daughter of Sir Hugh Munro-Lucas-Tooth, 1st Bt. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962). Artist associated with 42733 portraits.
Sir Norman Angell is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Angell was recognised for his book, Europe's Optical Illusion
(or The Great Illusion
) first published in 1910 and updated in 1933, which argued that war between modern powers was futile as neither the looser or victor would gain economically from it.
Art and science
British Art embraces abstraction with the establishment of 'Unit 1', the first group of British Artists dedicated to producing abstract art. The critic Herbert Read formed the group by bringing together the artists Ben Nicholson, Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and the architect, Wells Coates.The Duveen Wing extension at the National Portrait Gallery is opened by King George V.
The Nazi party comes to power in Germany as part of a coalition government with Hitler as Chancellor. Over the next year, the party consolidated its position through the Enabling Act (allowing them to pass legislation without the support of the coalition), by banning and purging opposition, and by making Hitler Führer in 1934: granting him the combined powers of Chancellor and President.