1 portrait of Sarah Bernhardt
by Elliott & Fry
chlorobromide print on cream card mount, 1901
11 3/4 in. x 9 1/8 in. (298 mm x 233 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sarah Henriette Rosine Bernhardt (1844-1923), Actress. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
Events of 1901back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria dies on 23 January. She is succeeded to the throne by her son, Prince Edward, aged 60, who reigned until his death in 1910. The census results of this year show the huge changes that took place in Britain during her reign, revealing that the population of Britain had doubled in the past 50 years, to 38 million.
Art and scienceThe start of Pablo Picasso's Blue Period, in which he produces a series of paintings dominated by the colour blue and melancholic mood. Significantly, the period marks the transition in Picasso's style from classicism to abstract art. Beatrix Potter privately publishes The Tale of Peter Rabbit after it is rejected by six publishers.
InternationalThe six colonies of Australia become a federation, forming the Commonwealth of Australia. Australia remains a Commonwealth Realm. This year Australia also passes the Immigration Restriction Act, which limits immigration to Australia and forms the basis of the White Australia policy, a collection of historical legislation and policies designed to restrict non-white immigration to Australia between 1830-1973, although reforms against the policy were introduced in the 1940s.
Exhibitions and displays
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 5 June
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians
- Andy Warhol: 10 portraits of Jews of the 20th century
- The Beautiful and the Damned