1 portrait of Joe Chamberlain
by Elliott & Fry
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Joseph ('Joe') Chamberlain (1836-1914), Industrialist and politician; MP for Birmingham. Sitter in 104 portraits.
Events of 1864back to top
Current affairsFirst of the Contagious Diseases Act. These acts allowed for the arrest, medical inspection and confinement of any woman suspected of being a prostitute in the port towns. Following huge public outcry over their discrimination against women, notably led by Josephine Butler, leader of the Ladies' National Association, the acts were eventually repealed.Octavia Hill starts work on slums, and the International Working Men's Association is founded in London.
Art and scienceThe Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell presents his discoveries in the field of electromagnetics to the Royal Society. His paper A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field expresses the basic laws of electricity and magnetism in unified fashion. Maxwell's equations, as his rules came to be known, helped create modern physics, laying the foundation for future work in special relativity and quantum mechanics.
InternationalAustria and Prussia combine forces to seize Schleswig-Holstein from Denmark. Britain cedes Corfu, acquired from France in the Second Treaty of Paris (1815) to Greece. Although Britain had vigorously suppressed an uprising in 1849 in Cephalonia aiming to restore Iolian islands, the government changed policy throughout the 1850s and 60s.
Exhibitions and displays
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
Until 5 June
- Setting the Scene: Staging and Backdrops in Studio Photographs
Until 4 December
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 5 June
- Wise, Constant and Courageous: Millicent Garrett Fawcett
Until 4 September
- Sir Benjamin Stone's Parliamentary Pictures
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Learn more
- Thomas Hardy
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- Athletes and Olympians