Letter from William Ralph Inge - 6 June [193?]
Letter from William Ralph Inge (1860-1954), dated 6 June [193?] to Henry Hake, Director of the National Portrait Gallery, expressing his view of the portrait of Haldane
ST PAUL'S. E.C.
Dear Mr Hake
After reading Haldane's Autobiography I am more favourable to the Laszlo portrait. It is like him in the last year of his life, when he knew that his days were numbered, and there is a dignity and pathos about it, though not the confidence and power of the Watts portrait which we cannot get. The family like the Laszlo picture, and this is important.
- Correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László