British artists' suppliers, 1650-1950 - J
A selective directory, to be revised regularly, 1st edition 2006, 2nd edition 2008, 3rd edition October 2011 (*revised entry, **new entry). Contributions and corrections are welcome, to Jacob Simon at email@example.com.
Robert P. Jackson by 1868-1891, Robert Jackson & Son 1892-1894 or later, Robert Jackson & Sons by 1900-1972. At 3 Slater St, Liverpool by 1868-1924, 18a Slater St 1925-1941, 20 Slater St 1943-1972. Carvers and gilders, picture framemakers, printsellers, artists' colourmen.
See British picture framemakers on the National Portrait Gallery website.
Thomas Stennett Jackson (c.1808-89), see Henry Flack
Henry Jeffreys (c.1839-1903) followed George James Keet (qv) at 88 Renshaw St, Liverpool. His business had an account with Roberson, 1866-1908 (Woodcock 1997). He was listed in the 1881 census as an artists’ colourman, age 42, employing five persons, with his wife, a son Richard, age 15, described as apprentice artists’ colourman, and two other sons, Henry and William, ages 13 and 11. By 1900 the business was trading as Jeffreys & Son, with Henry Jeffreys senior and William P. Jeffreys listed at 88-92 Renshaw St. Henry Jeffreys died in 1903, leaving an estate worth £3250, with probate granted to his widow, Fanny.
Several canvas marks are recorded from the 1870s and 1880s (information from Cathy Proudlove).
*Alfred Jeffries 1878-1884, A. Jeffries & Co 1884-1886, Moulding & Artists’ Materials Manufactory Co Ltd 1886-1887. At 2-3 Maynard St, Bloomsbury, London 1878-1884, 443 Oxford St 1880-1882, 107 New Oxford St and Grove Works, Este Road/ Estate Road, Clapham Junction 1883-1887. Manufacturers of mouldings, frames, colours and canvas. Later trading as Alfred Jeffries & Co, 19 Pilgrim St, Ludgate Hill EC 1894-1898, 95 New Oxford St 1896-1908, picture framemakers.
The business advertised as 'Manufacturers of White Mouldings, Picture Frames, Artists' Colors and Canvas' (The Year's Art 1884). It had an account with the artists' suppliers, Roberson, 1878-85 (Woodcock 1997) and supplied that business with some gold leaf, gilt frames and picture stretchers (Hamilton Kerr Institute, MS 183-1993). Jeffries was a supplier of canvases to artists and a stencilled canvas mark has been recorded, 1878 (information from Cathy Proudlove).
It would seem that Alfred Jeffries took Max Hübner (qv) and Arthur Wellesley Maxwell into partnership to trade as A. Jeffries & Co, a business which was then sold to the newly formed but short lived Moulding & Artists’ Materials Manufactory Co Ltd in 1886, in which Hübner and Maxwell were among the shareholders. The documentation for setting up the new company reveals that Jeffries & Co traded at 107 New Oxford St, the Grove Works in Battersea and at Woodbridge in Suffolk (National Archives, BT 31/3612/22245).
Alfred Jeffries was made bankrupt in 1888 (London Gazette 4 May 1888, where details of other addresses etc are given).
Thomas Jenkins, see Charles Sandys
*William Jones, 103 Leadenhall St, London 1800-1819, 105 Leadenhall St 1811-1818. Colour manufacturer, fancy ornamental stationer.
William Jones (c.1759-1818) was listed as a colour manufacturer and as a superfine colour preparer. Jones’s trade card, printed on blue paper, featured a wide range of materials, including primed canvas, advertising, ‘PAINTER,/ and Manufacturer of Superfine Water Colours/ … Colours Dry or Prepared in Oil for Artists & Common Do. For House Painting./ … Ladies & Gentlemen supplied with Genuine Superfine Colours, & every/ other Article for Drawing, on the lowest Terms.’ (Heal coll. 89.85).
William Jones may be the individual who was apprenticed to Edward Whitcombe in 1774, and who was then turned over to Josiah Fowler, wax chandler, subsequently taking his own apprentices, James Wightwick Poynton in 1785 and James Birkett in 1796 (Webb 2003 pp.7, 37, 51). Jones died at the age of 59 and was buried in September 1818 at St Andrew Undershaft. His will was proved in November 1818 (London Metropolitan Archives, Diocese of London Consistory Court, Microfilm X019/028). A sale of his stock was advertised in July 1819, to be held by George Jones at his new rooms, Leicester St, Leicester Square. He advertised ‘The Genuine Stock in Trade of the late Mr. William Jones, colour manufacturer and fancy ornamental dealer, of Leadenhall-street, deceased, by order of the Executors, comprising a great variety of drawing books, prints, drawings,… valuable boxes of Newman’s, Reeves’s, Inwood’s, and Jones’s superfine water-colours of the best manufacture, oil and enamel colours, pencils, drawing-boards, chalks, crayons, Bristol boards,… 4,000 sheets of fancy papers, rice-paper, Chinese, pink, and scarlet paper…’ (The Times 27 July 1819). The business became Jones & Son, painters and paper-hangers, continuing to trade from 103 Leadenhall St.
For abbreviations, see Resources and bibliography.
William Jordan, 34 Holborn Hill, London 1785-1794. Oil and colourman.
William Jordan offered bladder colours for artists. His trade card, with added manuscript date 1792, describes him as ‘Wm. Jordan/ OIL & COLOURMAN,/ No.34, Corner of Fetter Lane,/ HOLBORN./ Colours Properly prepared for Painting./ OILS & COLOURS,/ …/ Bladder Colours for Artists’ (Banks coll. 89.17).
Henry Joseph, see James Newman