The American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery is an independent US-based charity that builds awareness of the Gallery and its work and helps support important exhibitions and acquisitions. Most recently the American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery have provided generous support to Thomas Lawrence: Regency, Power and Brilliance, Glamour of the Gods: Hollywood Portraits, Laura Knight Portraits, educational activities for the forthcoming display Ben Okri on Ayuba Suleiman Diallo: A Dialogue Across Time (20 September 2013 - 16 March 2014) and a new bench located in Room 11 for which we are most grateful.
Join us as an American Patron and enjoy all of the benefits of UK based patronage as well as the chance to attend occasional US based National Portrait Gallery events. American Patrons are encouraged to enjoy special opportunities when visiting London – please let us know the dates of your visit.
Critically acclaimed exhibitions from the Gallery have travelled to some of the most celebrated museums and galleries in America including:
- Searching for Shakespeare (Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT), 2006
- David Hockney Portraits (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and LACMA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art, LA), 2007
- Great Britons: Treasures from the National Portrait Gallery London (National Portrait Gallery, Washington, DC), 2008
- Vanity Fair Portraits: Photographs 1914-2007 (LACMA:Los Angeles County Museum of Art, LA)
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency, Power and Brilliance (Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT)
- Lucian Freud Portraits (The Modern Art Museum, Fort Worth, TX) 2012
Forthcoming US exhibitions:
- Sargent and the Arts (with The Metropolitan Museum, New York, NY) 2014 – 2015
US tax payers are most welcome to support the work of the National Portrait Gallery via the American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery for donations greater than £100. If you chose to make a donation in US dollars to the American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery - a 501(c)(3) registered charity - you can receive favourable tax deductions on your gift.
If you are considering remembering the American Friends of the National Portrait Gallery in your will or would like to donate a work of art please contact us prior to formalising any arrangements for guidance.
For further information please contact:
020 7312 2404