‘Nothing which is made by man will be ugly, but will have its due form, and its due ornament, and will tell the tale of its making and the tale of its use.’
William Morris article on ‘Art’, The Socialist Ideal, 1891
Inspired by William Morris’s beliefs in craftsmanship and beauty that he applied to his own textiles and prints, we have partnered with graphic designers Turnbull Grey to offer a unique prize.
One winner, and up to two guests, will receive an introductory letterpress workshop at Turnbull Grey’s studio in Craft Central, EC1M. After a brief history of the process you’ll have the chance to design and print your own poster or postcard. For added inspiration you will all receive a ticket to the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery and a copy of William Morris: Words and Wisdom.
To enter the competition please complete your details below:
Terms and Conditions
1. Closing date 15/10/2014. All entries will be entered into a prize draw and the winner will be drawn at random and notified by email by 20/10/2014. The winner must claim their prize by 27/10/2014 or it will be considered forfeited and another draw will take place.
2. Entrants must be over 18.
3. Entry is limited to one per person.
4. One winner will receive a letterpress workshop for three at Turnbull Grey. The workshop date will need to be agreed between the winner and Turnbull Grey, but must take place before 15/10/2015. Certain dates may not be available and the prize is subject to availability.
5. The winner will also receive up to three tickets to Anarchy & Beauty: William Morris and His Legacy, 1860 – 1960 at the National Portrait Gallery and up to three copies of William Morris: Words and Wisdom. All items will be posted to one UK address. Tickets are valid any day between 16/10/2014 and 11/01/2015 during usual Gallery opening hours.
6. No cash alternative.
7. Transport to and around London is not included.
8. Prizes cannot be combined with any other offer and are non-transferable.
9. Entries can only be submitted online via the National Portrait Gallery website.
10. The winning entrant will be chosen at random by the National Portrait Gallery from all completed and valid entries received by the closing date. The decision is final and non-negotiable.
11. The National Portrait Gallery reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of similar value at its own discretion.
12. The National Portrait Gallery reserves the right to withdraw or amend the competition as necessary due to circumstances outside its control.
13. By entering the competition, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these rules.
14. Employees of the National Portrait Gallery and Turnbull Grey, their families, agents or anyone else connected with the competition are not permitted to enter.
15. The competition is run by the National Portrait Gallery Marketing Department.
16. Turnbull Grey is situated in Craft Central, 33-35 St John's Square, London EC1M 4DS, +44 (0)20 7608 3324. The Gallery is situated at St Martin's Place, London WC2H OHE, Tel: +44 (0) 207 7306 0055.
The Gallery is committed to protecting your privacy. All personal data given will be held securely by the Gallery and only used to administer your competition entry unless otherwise indicated above. It may be used for internal research/statistical purposes. It will not be passed to any third parties unless otherwise indicated above.