In Conversation: The Final Months and Beyond
Past event archive
22 May 2014, 19:00
Ondaatje Wing Theatre
- Late Shift||Lecture
General Officers of World War I
by John Singer Sargent
In his ground breaking study of the War, Nick Lloyd examines its last days, beginning at the heralded turning-point on the Marne in July 1918 and the next four months which included some of the bloodiest battles of the War.
David Reynolds looks at the world after WW1, exploring big themes such as democracy and empire, nationalism and capitalism and re-examining the differing impacts of the War on Britain, Ireland and the United States. He sheds light on the whole of the last century and demonstrates that 1914-18 is a conflict that Britain, more than any other nation, is still struggling to comprehend.
Nick Lloyd is a Senior Lecturer in Defence Studies at King's College, London. He specialises in British Military and imperial history in the era of the Great War and is the author of two books, Loos 1915, and The Amritsar Massacre: The Untold Story of One Fateful Day.
David Reynolds Professor of International History at Cambridge University, where he is a Fellow of Christ's College. He has held visiting appointments at Harvard University and Nihon University in Tokyo. He is the author of two award winning books on WWII and has made critically acclaimed films and series for both BBC4 and BBC2 including films on Churchill and Attlee.
They will be in conversation with Alex von Tunzelmann, historian and author of Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire, and Red Heat: Conspiracy, Murder and the Cold War in the Caribbean. She writes a weekly column for The Guardian.
Series curated by Adrienne Loftus Parkins.Places for our free events are allocated on a first come, first served basis and are subject to availability
See all Late Shift events
- Edmund Henry Hynman Allenby, 1st Viscount Allenby
- William Riddell Birdwood, 1st Baron Birdwood
- Louis Botha
- Julian Byng, 1st Viscount Byng of Vimy
- (Frederic) Rudolph Lambart, 10th Earl of Cavan
- Sir John Steven Cowans
- Sir Arthur William Currie
- Sir Charles Macpherson Dobell
- Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig
- Henry Sinclair Horne, Baron Horne
- Sir Henry Timson Lukin
- Sir William Marshall
- Sir Frederick Stanley Maude
- George Francis Milne, 1st Baron Milne
- Sir John Monash
- Herbert Plumer, 1st Viscount Plumer
- Henry Seymour Rawlinson, 1st Baron Rawlinson of Trent
- Sir William Robert Robertson, 1st Bt
- Sir Andrew Hamilton Russell
- Jan Christian Smuts
- Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, 1st Bt
- John Denton Pinkstone French, 1st Earl of Ypres
How to book
Visit the website, call 020 7306 0055 or visit the Gallery in person.