The National Portrait Gallery is home to the largest collection of portraits in the world and celebrates the lives and achievements of those who have influenced British history, culture and identity.
The Archive and Library is a research facility that enables increased access to the Gallery’s collections and the study of portraiture by staff, scholars and members of the public. It contains three collections: Archive, Library and a Reference collection of portraits.
We have opportunities for enthusiastic volunteers to help us make our archive more accessible, assisting with filing and cataloguing gallery records. If you have attention to detail and are interested in learning more about working in an archive this role may be perfect for you.
- Assisting with filing and cataloguing of accruing Gallery Records, including those belonging to the Registered Packets and Notes files series.
- Files maintenance: ordering contents, data protection checks and re-housing of material as required.
This role will suit you if you
- Have an interest in the work of the National Portrait Gallery and some familiarity with British portraiture or biography.
- Are willing to learn more about working with archives or are considering enrolling in an archives programme.
- Have close attention to detail and have a disposition to follow detailed directions.
- Enjoy working independently.
What can you expect from us?
- Training and support, as well as a safe environment, to fulfil your role.
- The opportunity to learn new skills and increase your knowledge of how an archive works while having an impact on a renowned organisation.
- A friendly environment and the opportunity to meet like-minded people.
- A contribution towards expenses for travel.
This opportunity will be available from September 2018, volunteering one day per week (to be agreed) from 10.00 to 16.00. If successful, you will be asked to complete a basic disclosure form. A minimum commitment of four months is appreciated with the possibility to stay with us after that initial period.
How to apply:
Please, complete an application form and send it to Sara Manzanares, Volunteer Development Manager [email protected]
Deadline for applications is Sunday 19 August 2018. Informal meetings are expected to take place during the last week of August, and the placements to begin soon thereafter.