Working for the National Portrait Gallery
Thank you for your interest in the National Portrait Gallery. Working for the Gallery offers you a unique opportunity to gain experience and develop skills in a nationally renowned museum. This is a very important and pivotal time for the Gallery as embarks on a major capital project, Inspiring People, designed to transform the services it provides to its visitors, and in the way it presents and interprets its Collection in the Gallery and on line. The renewed National Portrait Gallery will deepen understanding and enjoyment of its remarkable collection of portraits and broaden its appeal to the widest possible range of audiences.
The Gallery aims to be a good employer with fair employment practices and policies to support this ambition, and we pride ourselves on having a workforce that is friendly, committed and hard working.
If you join the Gallery you will grow as a person and a professional. As an employee you will need to be committed to ensuring that all individuals are treated with respect and valued for their work. In return, whatever your role within the organisation, you will be encouraged to continuously develop your knowledge as well as offering your skills to others. You will also have the opportunity to make a real contribution to the future work of the Gallery.
The Gallery is committed to providing equality of opportunity for all staff and welcomes applications from all individuals for advertised jobs that match their skills and interests.
The Gallery is committed to the fair treatment of all employees and applicants and requires all employees to abide by and adhere to this general principle. We aim to meet both our statutory duties in relation to equal opportunities by complying with the terms of the Equality Act 2010, and to follow accepted good practice in this area.
The National Portrait Gallery offers variety of exciting opportunities to learn, develop and grow your career. We recognise the value each individual brings to the organisation to achieve our ambitious plans and are dedicated to developing and rewarding our staff.
We offer all our employees a competitive benefits package including:
- Membership of the Principal Civil Service Pension Scheme (PCSPS)
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Interest free season ticket or bicycle loans
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee health and welfare services
- Access to a free, independent and confidential employee assistance programme (from May 2017)
- Rental deposit scheme
- Free entry to the Gallery’s private views and paid for exhibitions
- Free entry to many UK museums and galleries
- Staff discounts on purchases in our Gallery and online shops
- Staff discounts in the Portrait Café and Restaurant
- Professional & personal development opportunities
- Participation in public Gallery activities, including talks by leading curators from around the world and behind-the-scenes opportunities to learn how the Gallery cares for and manage its Collection