Sir Walter Ralegh (Raleigh); Walter Ralegh
by Unknown artist
Family Album is a collaborative exhibition between the National Portrait Gallery, Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, Beningbrough Hall & Gardens, Yorkshire, Montacute House, Somerset, Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery and Museums Sheffield.
This exhibition of paintings, drawings and photographs from the National Portrait Gallery Collection explores family life and relationships in Britain over the centuries, from Tudor times to the present day. The idea of 'Family' means different things to different people and can be influenced by time, place and circumstances. However you define family, whether through relations, friends, faith, colleagues or community, these are the people who help shape our lives.
The works have been selected by all the partners and will be accompanied by an extensive programme of activities. Partners have also worked together to produce resources connected to the project such as a digital photo frame in which will be displayed family photos submitted by visitors to the exhibition, a Teacher's resource pack, a Family Memories interactive, costumes inspired by selected portraits in the exhibition from the 16th, 17th, 18th and 21st centuries so that participants can 'dress through the ages', and a web quest, an online resource examining the portraits in the exhibition more closely.
This exhibition is supported by the DCMS/DCSF Strategic Commissioning National/Regional Museum Education Partnerships Programme.
Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens
12 July - 12 October 2008
Plymouth City Museum & Art Gallery
25 October - 13 December 2008
Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield
10 January - 22 March 2009
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Edwin Sandys; Cicely Sandys (née Wilford) (NPG 1268)
- Five Children of King Charles I (NPG 267)
- Anne Hyde, Duchess of York; King James II (NPG 5077)
- The Family of Sir Robert Vyner (NPG 5568)
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu with her son, Edward Wortley Montagu, and attendants (NPG 3924)
- Adam Walker and his family (NPG 1106)
- George Hudson and his family (NPG 5886)
- Dinner at Haddo House, 1884 (NPG 3845)
- Captain Scott's Birthday Dinner, 6 June 1911 (NPG P1100)
- A.A. Milne; Christopher Robin Milne (NPG P715)
- Ramsay MacDonald with members of his family (NPG 6102)
- Peter Pears; Benjamin Britten (NPG 5136)
- The daughters of William Bramwell Booth (Olive Emma Booth; Dora Booth; Catherine Bramwell-Booth) (NPG P178)
- Dame Hilary Mantel (NPG P645)
- 'Diana, Princess of Wales with her sons' (NPG P717(16))
- John Major; Norma Major (NPG 6402)
- James Pinson Labulo Davies; Sarah Forbes Bonetta (Sarah Davies) (NPG Ax61382)
- Queen Alexandra; Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife (NPG x22090)
- Robert Louis Stevenson and family (NPG x4630)
- The Strachey family (NPG x13122)
- The Churchill family (NPG x45179)
- Virginia Ironside with three children (NPG x126951)
- Bernard Kops; Erica Kops (née Gordon) and their son Adam Kops (NPG x31636)
- Joan Plowright; Laurence Olivier; Hon. Richard Olivier (NPG x76239)
- Graham Hill; Damon Hill (NPG x76129)
- Loel Patrick Guinness; Victoria Christina Niarchos (née Guinness); Maria Alexandra Guinness (NPG x30042)
- The official Silver Wedding group photograph of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (NPG x26200)
- The wedding of Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach (NPG x126137)
- Janet Walton and her sextuplets (NPG x87561)
- Meera Syal; Surendra Kumar Syal (NPG x87583)
- Cora Corré; Dame Vivienne Westwood (NPG x87738)
- Meena Pathak; Kirit Pathak (NPG x125416)
- Kathryn Blair; Euan Blair; Cherie Blair (née Booth); Tony Blair; Nicky Blair (NPG x126119)
- Catrin Finch (NPG x129527)