Anne Boleyn(circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII
Sitter associated with 26 portraits
The second wife of Henry VIII, Anne was associated with the King from 1527 and secretly married him in 1533, shortly before Henry's divorce from Katherine of Aragon was completed. Later in the same year their daughter Princess Elizabeth (later Elizabeth I) was born. By 1536 Henry had grown tired of Anne, and, still desperate for a male heir began to doubt the legitimacy of their marriage. That same year Anne was charged with adultery and incest and was executed at the Tower of London.
More on Anne Boleyn: Tudor & Jacobean Portraits book in our Shops | Queens of England range in our Shops | Anne Boleyn range in our Shops
Explore the Staffordshire Potteries portrait of Anne Boleyn (NPG D48089) from all angles | the portrait of King Henry VIII and his Six Wives (NPG D48093) from all angles
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
King Henry VIII bringing to Court Anna Boleyn, who was afterwards his Royal Consort (Thomas Wolsey; Henry Algernon Percy, 6th Earl of Northumberland; Katherine of Aragon; King Henry VIII; Anne Boleyn)
after William Hogarth
line engraving, probably early 19th century
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Shakespeare quiz
- Photo collage
- Kings and Queens at Montacute House
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits used in matching pairs
- Top selling prints
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits
- Kings & Queens
- Portraits featuring - Necklace
- Prints of paintings
- Top selling prints of paintings
- Tudor and Elizabethan prints
- Best selling prints