Elizabeth Cromwell (née Steward)(died 1654), Mother of Oliver Cromwell
Sitter associated with 6 portraits
Elizabeth Cromwell was born Elizabeth Steward. She was the daughter of William Stewart, who had inherited from his uncle, the Prior of Ely, leases of abbey lands in the early days of the Reformation. The leases passed to Elizabeth's childless brother Thomas and, in 1636, to her son Oliver. In she married Robert Cromwell, grandson of Thomas Cromwell's sister.
- Elizabeth Claypole (née Cromwell) (granddaughter)
- Henry Cromwell (grandson)
- Oliver Cromwell (son)
- Richard Cromwell (grandson)
- Robert Cromwell (husband)
- Mary (née Cromwell), Countess Fauconberg (granddaughter)
- Bridget Fleetwood (née Cromwell) (granddaughter)
- Frances Russell (née Cromwell), Lady Russell (granddaughter)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.