William Ewart Gladstone(1809-1898), Prime Minister and writer; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery
Sitter associated with 321 portraits
Famous as the ‘grand old man’ of British politics; Gladstone was leader of the Liberal Party and prime minister in four governments from 1868 to 1894. Gladstone was responsible for major reforms in every sphere of national life, and for the development of imperial foreign policy. He divided the party on the issue of Irish Home Rule and stamped his moral authority on the politics of his time. Gladstone’s father, John Gladstone was one of the largest owners of enslaved Africans in the Caribbean and this wealth supported Gladstone’s early career in politics. As a politician, Gladstone supported the proposal to compensate slave-owners for the loss of their ‘property’ after slavery was abolished and the introduction of the apprenticeship system that required newly freed Africans to continue working for their masters for four to six years.
by Unknown photographer
albumen print, late 1850s
- Mary Drew (née Gladstone) (daughter)
- Herbert John Gladstone, 1st Viscount Gladstone (son)
- Henry Neville Gladstone, 1st Baron Gladstone of Hawarden (son)
- Catherine Gladstone (née Glynne) (wife)
- Constance Gertrude Gladstone (granddaughter)
- Evelyn Catherine Gladstone (granddaughter)
- Helen Gladstone (daughter)
- Sir John Gladstone (father)
- Robertson Gladstone (brother)
- Stephen Deiniol Gladstone (grandson)
- Stephen Edward Gladstone (son)
- Sir Thomas Gladstone, 2nd Bt (brother)
- William Glynne Charles Gladstone (grandson)
- William Henry Gladstone (son)
- Dorothy Mary Catherine ('Dossie') Parish (née Drew) (granddaughter)
- Agnes Wickham (née Gladstone) (daughter)
- Lucy C. Wickham (granddaughter)
- Margaret Wickham (granddaughter)
- William G. Wickham (grandson)
- Blue plaque, 10 St James's Square, St James's, London SW1Y 4LE
- Blue plaque, 11 Carlton House Terrace, St James's, London SW1Y 5AJ
- Blue plaque, 73 Harley Street, Marylebone, London W1G 8QJ
- William Ewart Gladstone Audio Guide transcript of National Sound Archive recording
- William Ewart Gladstone in the Legacies of British Slave-ownership database
- William Ewart Gladstone in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Victorian and Edwardian portraits
- Victorian and Edwardian prints
- Events and occasions
- Top selling prints
- Group portraits
- Georgian and Regency portraits
- Portraits featuring - Necklace
- Portraits featuring - Brooch
- Portraits featuring - Ring
- Prints of paintings
- Top selling prints of paintings
- Georgian and Regency prints
- Umbrellas and parasols