King Henry VII(1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509
Sitter associated with 66 portraits
Henry VII was the son of Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond and Lady Margaret Beaufort. He was head of the house of Lancaster after the death of Henry VI and the founder of the Tudor dynasty. He assumed power in 1485 having defeated and killed the Yorkist king Richard III at the battle of Bosworth Field, establishing the Tudor monarchy. In 1486 he united the houses of York and Lancaster through his marriage to Elizabeth of York and finally ended the War of the Roses. A notably clever king, he amassed enormous wealth for the Crown and established relative peace in England.
More on King Henry VII: Tudor & Jacobean Portraits book in our Shops | Monarchs range in our Shops | Kings & Queens range in our Shops
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- My Favourite Portrait by David Cobley
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Loans to the National Gallery
- Perspective: Seeing where you stand
- Abolition Trail
- Investigating drawing - Pouncing
- Holbein - Technique and Imitation
- Tudor pick up guides
- Shakespeare quiz
- Case study 4 - new research on the Gallery's earliest portrait: Henry VII
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Photo collage
- Meet the Locals Tour
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits
- Kings & Queens
- Portraits featuring - Necklace
- Portraits featuring - Chain
- Portraits featuring - Brooch
- Portraits featuring - Ring
- Top 50 watercolours and drawings as Portrait Prints
- Tudor and Elizabethan prints
- Best selling prints
- Hats and head attire
- Top selling prints
- Flowers and plants
- Prints of paintings
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits used in matching pairs
- Kings and Queens at Montacute House