William Michael Rossetti(1829-1919), Critic and writer
Sitter in 9 portraits
Dante Gabriel's brother, and a civil servant from 1845, William Michael was a founder member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. He had virtually no leanings towards painting but acted as Secretary to the PRB and editor of its short-lived journal, The Germ. In later years he established himself as a leading literary critic and acted as a stabilising influence on his brother's increasingly erratic lifestyle.
More on William Michael Rossetti: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle book in our Shops
copy by Howard M. King
bromide print, 2 January 1895
by James Russell & Sons
albumen cabinet card, circa 1907
- Oliva Frances Madox Agresti (née Rossetti) (daughter)
- John William Polidori (uncle)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (sister)
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (brother)
- Frances Mary Lavinia Rossetti (née Polidori) (mother)
- Maria Francesca Rossetti (sister)
- Mary Elizabeth Madox Rossetti (daughter)
- Michael Ford Rossetti (son)
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!