Evelyn Waugh(1903-1966), Novelist
Sitter associated with 53 portraits
Novelist famed for his satirical observations and black humour in works such as Vile Bodies (1930) and Scoop (1938). Waugh wrote the romantically nostalgic Brideshead Revisited (1945) and a trilogy of war novels Sword of Honour (1952-61).
by Mark Gerson
cibachrome print from original transparency, March 1959
- (Maria) Teresa D'Arms (née Waugh) (daughter)
- Margaret ('Meg') Fitzherbert (née Waugh) (daughter)
- Veronica Keeling (née Waugh) (niece)
- Evelyn Florence Margaret Winifred Nightingale (née Gardner, formerly Waugh) (wife)
- Alexander Raban ('Alec') Waugh (brother)
- Andrew Alexander Waugh (nephew)
- Auberon Alexander Waugh (son)
- Harriet Mary ('Hatty') Waugh (daughter)
- James Waugh (son)
- Laura Waugh (née Herbert) (wife)
- Septimus Waugh (son)
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!