Evelyn Waugh(1903-1966), Novelist
Sitter associated with 53 portraits
Novelist famed for his satirical observations and black humour in works such as Vile Bodies (1930) and Scoop (1938). Waugh wrote the romantically nostalgic Brideshead Revisited (1945) and a trilogy of war novels Sword of Honour (1952-61).
- (Maria) Teresa D'Arms (née Waugh) (daughter)
- Margaret ('Meg') Fitzherbert (née Waugh) (daughter)
- Veronica Keeling (née Waugh) (niece)
- Evelyn Florence Margaret Winifred Nightingale (née Gardner, formerly Waugh) (wife)
- Alexander Raban ('Alec') Waugh (brother)
- Andrew Alexander Waugh (nephew)
- Auberon Alexander Waugh (son)
- Harriet Mary ('Hatty') Waugh (daughter)
- James Waugh (son)
- Laura Waugh (née Herbert) (wife)
- Septimus Waugh (son)
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.