Diana, Princess of Wales(1961-1997), Princess of Wales
Sitter in 55 portraits
Youngest daughter of the 8th Earl Spencer, Lady Diana Spencer married Charles, Prince of Wales in 1981 in a ceremony broadcast to 750 million viewers worldwide. They were separated in 1992, divorced in 1996. Tireless worker on behalf of numerous charities, particularly those concerned with Aids, children, the homeless and the elderly; leading campaigner against the use of landmines. Diana became an international icon by wearing carefully chosen outfits by leading fashion designers for important public engagements. Popularly known as 'the people's princess' she is mother of Princes William and Harry.
by Lord Snowdon
gelatin silver print, 21 December 1984
- Prince Charles (husband)
- Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge (grandson)
- Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex (son)
- Albert Edward John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer (grandfather)
- Cynthia Spencer (née Hamilton), Countess Spencer (grandmother)
- Edward John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer (father)
- Prince William, Duke of Cambridge (son)
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.