Charles Kemble(1775-1854), Actor, theatre manager and playwright
Sitter associated with 30 portraits
The actor and theatre manager Charles Kemble conducted his career in the shadow of his acclaimed brother John Philip Kemble, and his legendary sister Sarah Siddons. He made his debut in the supporting role of Malcolm to his brother's Macbeth at Drury Lane in 1794. Unlike his siblings he acted in comedies as well as tragedies. He managed Covent Garden Theatre between 1822 and 1832; a difficult period when its best members, including the singer Catherine Stephens, were defecting to Drury Lane. Kemble's spectacular production of The Tempest (1842) caused a sensation when he used a real ship in the storm scene.
by William Thomas Fry, published by Sherwood & Co, probably after Thomas Charles Wageman
engraving, published 1825
by Richard James Lane, published by Joseph Dickinson, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
lithograph, published May 1830
by Richard James Lane, printed by Jérémie Graf, published by Colnaghi and Puckle, after Alfred Edward Chalon
lithograph, published May 1840
by Richard James Lane
- Cecilia Combe (née Siddons) (niece)
- Adelaide Kemble (Mrs Sartoris) (daughter)
- Frances ('Fanny') Kemble (sister)
- Frances Anne ('Fanny') Kemble (daughter)
- Henry Vincent James Kemble (son)
- John Philip Kemble (brother)
- Maria Theresa Kemble (wife)
- Roger Kemble (father)
- Stephen Kemble (brother)
- George John Siddons (nephew)
- Henry Siddons (nephew)
- Maria Siddons (niece)
- Sarah Martha ('Sally') Siddons (niece)
- Sarah Siddons (née Kemble) (sister)
- Elizabeth Whitlock (née Kemble) (sister)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'Othello'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'King John'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'Henry IV'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'Much Ado about Nothing'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'The Merchant of Venice'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'Julius Caesar'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet'
- In Character: Shakespeare's 'Henry VIII'