Nicholas Hilliard(1547-1619), Miniature painter
Artist associated with 34 portraits
Nicholas Hilliard (1547-1619) trained as a goldsmith and became an outstanding painter of portrait miniatures, the first notable English artist of this medium. Elizabeth I appointed him her official limner, or miniature painter, a service to the monarch that he continued after the accession of James I in 1603.
More on Nicholas Hilliard: Elizabethan Treasures: Miniatures by Hilliard & Oliver exhibition | Elizabethan Treasures: Miniatures by Hilliard and Oliver catalogue in our Shops
by Nicholas Hilliard
watercolour on vellum, circa 1590
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- Body colour
- Portraits featuring - Necklace
- Portraits featuring - Brooch
- Top 50 watercolours and drawings as Portrait Prints
- Best selling prints
- Elizabethan Treasures
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits
- Tudor and Elizabethan prints
- Kings & Queens
- The Art Fund
- Stuart portraits and the Civil War
- Portraits featuring - Chain
- Portraits featuring - Earring