Anne Boleyn(circa 1500-1536), Second Queen of Henry VIII
Sitter associated with 26 portraits
The second wife of Henry VIII, Anne was associated with the King from 1527 and secretly married him in 1533, shortly before Henry's divorce from Katherine of Aragon was completed. Later in the same year their daughter Princess Elizabeth (later Elizabeth I) was born. By 1536 Henry had grown tired of Anne, and, still desperate for a male heir began to doubt the legitimacy of their marriage. That same year Anne was charged with adultery and incest and was executed at the Tower of London.
More on Anne Boleyn: Tudor & Jacobean Portraits book in our Shops | Queens of England range in our Shops | Anne Boleyn range in our Shops
Explore the Staffordshire Potteries portrait of Anne Boleyn (NPG D48089) from all angles | the portrait of King Henry VIII and his Six Wives (NPG D48093) from all angles
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
King Henry VIII bringing to Court Anna Boleyn, who was afterwards his Royal Consort (Thomas Wolsey; Henry Algernon Percy, 6th Earl of Northumberland; Katherine of Aragon; King Henry VIII; Anne Boleyn)
after William Hogarth
line engraving, probably early 19th century
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- NPG D48089 in 360°
- NPG D48093 in 360°
- Conservation treatment of a portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Thank you for supporting the conservation of the portrait of Anne Boleyn
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Shakespeare quiz
- Photo collage
- Kings and Queens at Montacute House
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits used in matching pairs
- Top selling prints
- Tudor and Elizabethan portraits
- Kings & Queens
- Portraits featuring - Necklace
- Prints of paintings
- Top selling prints of paintings
- Tudor and Elizabethan prints
- Best selling prints