George Douglas Campbell, 8th Duke of Argyll(1823-1900), Politician, Lord Privy Seal and Secretary of State for India and writer on science, religion, and politics
Sitter in 32 portraits
Argyll held various government posts as a whig including Privy Seal four times and Secretary of State of India from 1868 to 1874. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society and interested in scientific progress, although opposed to the theory of evolution.
- Elizabeth Georgiana (née Sutherland-Leveson-Gower), Duchess of Argyll (wife)
- Amelia Maria (née Claughton), Duchess of Argyll (wife)
- John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell, 9th Duke of Argyll (son)
- Lady Frances Balfour (née Campbell) (daughter)
- Lord Archibald Campbell (son)
- Lord Colin Campbell (son)
- Lord Walter Campbell (son)
- Lady Mary Glyn (née Campbell) (daughter)
- Lady Elisabeth Taylor (née Campbell) (daughter)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.