Sir Charles Barry(1795-1860), Architect
Sitter in 8 portraits
The leading architect of his generation; worked mostly in a classical or Italianate style; responsible, with Pugin, for the Houses of Parliament.
- Blue plaque, The Elms, Clapham Common North Side, Clapham, London SW4 9SP
- Cliveden House, Maidenhead, Kent
- Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, Lancashire
- Harewood House, Leeds, Yorkshire
- Highclere Castle & Gardens, Newbury, Berkshire
- Kingston Lacy, Wimborne Minster, Dorset
- Palace of Westminster, London
- Sir Charles Barry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.