Sir Charles Barry(1795-1860), Architect
Sitter in 8 portraits
The leading architect of his generation; worked mostly in a classical or Italianate style; responsible, with Pugin, for the Houses of Parliament.
- Blue plaque, The Elms, Clapham Common North Side, Clapham, London SW4 9SP
- Cliveden House, Maidenhead, Kent
- Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham, Lancashire
- Harewood House, Leeds, Yorkshire
- Highclere Castle & Gardens, Newbury, Berkshire
- Kingston Lacy, Wimborne Minster, Dorset
- Palace of Westminster, London
- Sir Charles Barry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.