Princess Beatrice of Battenberg(1857-1944), Fifth and youngest daughter of Queen Victoria; wife of Prince Henry of Battenberg
Sitter associated with 102 portraits
Beatrice, the youngest daughter of Queen Victoria, was called 'Baby' by her mother well into adult life. Her father, the Prince Consort died when she was just four years old, and thereafter Beatrice's chief role was as the comfort and companion of her mother. She acted as Queen Victoria's secretary until her death in 1901. Indeed, the Queen only gave her consent to Beatrice's marriage to Prince Henry of Battenberg on condition that the couple made their home with her.
by Henry Joseph Whitlock
albumen print, 1867
by Ashford Brothers & Co, after John Jabez Edwin Mayall, and John & Charles Watkins, and Georg Emil Hansen
albumen carte-de-visite, 1860s
after John Jabez Edwin Mayall
albumen carte-de-visite, circa 1861
- Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (brother)
- Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (father)
- Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (brother)
- Prince Alfred of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (nephew)
- Princess Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse (sister)
- Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (brother)
- Alexander Albert Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Carisbrooke (son)
- King Edward VII (brother)
- Victoria Eugenie ('Ena') of Battenberg, Queen of Spain (daughter)
- Princess Helena Augusta Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein (sister)
- Prince Henry Maurice of Battenberg (husband)
- Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, Duchess of Argyll (sister)
- Prince Maurice Victor Donald of Battenberg (son)
- Lord Leopold Mountbatten (son)
- Queen Victoria (mother)
- Victoria, Empress of Germany and Queen of Prussia (sister)
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .