Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough(1758-1844), British peer; Lord of the Admiralty 1782-83
Sitter in 4 portraits
Ponsonby was known as Viscount Duncannon until his father's death. In 1780, Duncannon married Lady Henrietta Spencer, sister of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. He entered Parliament as an MP later the same year, and remained in the Commons until he succeeded to his father's title in 1793. His political career was undistinguished, and he is mostly remembered as the husband of one of the finest English letter writers.
by Samuel William Reynolds, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
- Henrietta Frances ('Harriet') Ponsonby (née Spencer), Countess of Bessborough (wife)
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (son)
- John Ponsonby, 5th Earl of Bessborough (grandson)
- Frederick George Brabazon Ponsonby, 6th Earl of Bessborough (grandson)
- William Ponsonby, 1st Baron de Mauley (son)
- Hon. Frances Anna Georgiana Kinnaird (née Ponsonby) (granddaughter)
- Lady Caroline Lamb (daughter)
- Sir Frederic Cavendish Ponsonby (son)
- Frederick John Ponsonby (grandson)
- Hon. Gerald Henry Brabazon Ponsonby (grandson)
- Sir Henry Frederick Ponsonby (grandson)
- Sir Spencer Cecil Brabazon Ponsonby-Fane (né Ponsonby) (grandson)
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!