Frederick Ponsonby, 3rd Earl of Bessborough(1758-1844), British peer; Lord of the Admiralty 1782-83
Sitter in 4 portraits
Ponsonby was known as Viscount Duncannon until his father's death. In 1780, Duncannon married Lady Henrietta Spencer, sister of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. He entered Parliament as an MP later the same year, and remained in the Commons until he succeeded to his father's title in 1793. His political career was undistinguished, and he is mostly remembered as the husband of one of the finest English letter writers.
by Samuel William Reynolds, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
- Henrietta Frances ('Harriet') Ponsonby (née Spencer), Countess of Bessborough (wife)
- John William Ponsonby, 4th Earl of Bessborough (son)
- John Ponsonby, 5th Earl of Bessborough (grandson)
- Frederick George Brabazon Ponsonby, 6th Earl of Bessborough (grandson)
- William Ponsonby, 1st Baron de Mauley (son)
- Hon. Frances Anna Georgiana Kinnaird (née Ponsonby) (granddaughter)
- Lady Caroline Lamb (daughter)
- Sir Frederic Cavendish Ponsonby (son)
- Frederick John Ponsonby (grandson)
- Hon. Gerald Henry Brabazon Ponsonby (grandson)
- Sir Henry Frederick Ponsonby (grandson)
- Sir Spencer Cecil Brabazon Ponsonby-Fane (né Ponsonby) (grandson)
Enter our Jubilee family competition
Submit your family’s recreation of a Royal portrait to win some Jubilee goodiesEnter now
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.