John Carr(1723-1807), Architect
Sitter in 4 portraits
The architect John Carr lived in York where he was Lord Mayor in 1770 and 1785. He produced many buildings and interior schemes for aristocratic patrons around Yorkshire, notably at Kirby Hall, Wentworth Woodhouse and at Harewood.
- Basildon Park, Reading, Berkshire
- Cannon Hall Museum, Park& Gardens, Cawthorne, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- Constable Burton Hall Gardens, Leyburn, North Yorkshire
- Harewood House, Harewood, Leeds
- Harewood, Leeds, Yorkshire
- John Carr in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Newark Town Hall Museum & Art Gallery, Newark, Nottinghamshire
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.