Prince Charles Edward Stuart(1720-1788), Grandson of James II; 'Bonnie Prince Charlie'
Sitter associated with 41 portraits
Bonnie Prince Charlie or the Young Pretender, was the grandson of James II, who was deposed in 1688. In 1745 he landed in Scotland and led a rising of the Highland clans, in an attempt to regain the British throne. He caused panic in London by reaching as far south as Derby before retreating. His defeat at Culloden by the Duke of Cumberland in 1746 saw the end of the Jacobite cause.
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, 1730s
- Louisa, Countess of Albany (wife)
- Henry Benedict Maria Clement Stuart, Cardinal York (brother)
- King James II (grandfather)
- Prince James Francis Edward Stuart (father)
- Maria Clementina Sobieska (mother)