Elizabeth Claypole (née Cromwell)(1629-1658), Daughter of Oliver Cromwell
Sitter associated with 7 portraits
The second daughter of Oliver Cromwell, and his favourite child, Elizabeth Claypole is supposed to have exercised a moderating influence on him. She married John Claypole, a leading Parliamentarian in 1646.
by James Scott, published by Thomas Boys, after William Fisk
mixed-method engraving, published 1839
- John Claypole (husband)
- Elizabeth Cromwell (née Steward) (grandmother)
- Elizabeth Cromwell (née Bourchier) (mother)
- Henry Cromwell (brother)
- Oliver Cromwell (father)
- Richard Cromwell (brother)
- Robert Cromwell (grandfather)
- Mary (née Cromwell), Countess Fauconberg (sister)
- Bridget Fleetwood (née Cromwell) (sister)
- Frances Russell (née Cromwell), Lady Russell (sister)
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.