Elizabeth Cromwell (née Steward)(died 1654), Mother of Oliver Cromwell
Sitter associated with 6 portraits
Elizabeth Cromwell was born Elizabeth Steward. She was the daughter of William Stewart, who had inherited from his uncle, the Prior of Ely, leases of abbey lands in the early days of the Reformation. The leases passed to Elizabeth's childless brother Thomas and, in 1636, to her son Oliver. In she married Robert Cromwell, grandson of Thomas Cromwell's sister.
by S.J. Dügy
oil on canvas, circa 1670
- Elizabeth Claypole (née Cromwell) (granddaughter)
- Henry Cromwell (grandson)
- Oliver Cromwell (son)
- Richard Cromwell (grandson)
- Robert Cromwell (husband)
- Mary (née Cromwell), Countess Fauconberg (granddaughter)
- Bridget Fleetwood (née Cromwell) (granddaughter)
- Frances Russell (née Cromwell), Lady Russell (granddaughter)
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!