Henry Stanley, 4th Earl of Derby(1531-1593), Statesman
Sitter in 4 portraits
Statesman and gentleman of the privy chamber to Edward VI and Philip II of Spain. In Elizabeth's reign he was an active member of the Council of the North, served as ambassador extraordinary and travelled to France for the investiture of Henry III with the Order of the Garter, which was one of the largest embassies ever sent by the Tudor monarchs. The diary of his time treating for peace with Spain with Alessandro Farnese in 1588 survives in the British Library (BL Sloane MS 262). He is of particular interest as an early patron of poets, actors, and wrestlers, and financed a company of actors called 'Derby's Men', one of the earliest troupes of their kind.
- Anne Ker (née Stanley), Countess of Ancram (granddaughter)
- Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby (father)
- Ferdinando Stanley, 5th Earl of Derby (son)
- William Stanley, 6th Earl of Derby (son)
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (grandson)
- Elizabeth Hastings (née Stanley), Countess of Huntingdon (granddaughter)
- Sir Robert Stanley (grandson)
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.