Edward Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby(1799-1869), Prime Minister
Sitter in 105 portraits
Statesman; leader of the Tory party after Peel's fall, and Prime Minister, 1852, 1858-9, 1866-8. Derby was one of the leading political figures of the age as well as publishing works which included a version of the Illiad.
by Unknown photographer
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1860s
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (grandfather)
- Elizabeth Stanley (née Hamilton), Countess of Derby (grandmother)
- Edward Smith Stanley, 13th Earl of Derby (father)
- Charlotte Margaret Stanley (née Hornby), Countess of Derby (mother)
- Emma Caroline Stanley (née Bootle-Wilbraham), Countess of Derby (wife)
- Edward Henry Stanley, 15th Earl of Derby (son)
- Frederick Arthur Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby (son)
- Edward George Villiers Stanley, 17th Earl of Derby (grandson)
- Lady Isobel Constance Mary Gathorne-Hardy (née Stanley) (granddaughter)
- Lady Louisa Emily Long (née Stanley) (sister)
- Lady Charlotte-Elizabeth Penryhn (née Stanley) (sister)
- Hon. Algernon Francis Stanley (grandson)
- Sir Arthur Stanley (grandson)
- Ferdinand Charles Stanley (grandson)
- Hon. Frederick William Stanley (grandson)
- Sir George Frederick Stanley (grandson)
- Hon. Henry Thomas Stanley (brother)
- Sir Victor Albert Stanley (grandson)
- Lady Emma Charlotte Talbot (née Stanley) (daughter)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.