Spencer Compton Cavendish, 8th Duke of Devonshire(1833-1908), Politician and Captain; ex-officio Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery
Sitter in 56 portraits
Statesman; served under Gladstone but opposed Home Rule for Ireland and with Chamberlain founded Liberal Unionist Party. President of Council in Salisbury's second administration and under Balfour 1902-3.
- Georgiana Dorothy (née Cavendish), Countess of Carlisle (grandmother)
- George Howard, 6th Earl of Carlisle (grandfather)
- Lord Edward Cavendish (brother)
- Lord Frederick Charles Cavendish (brother)
- Lord George Henry Cavendish (uncle)
- Lord Richard Cavendish (uncle)
- Lord Richard Frederick Cavendish (nephew)
- William Cavendish (grandfather)
- William Cavendish, 7th Duke of Devonshire (father)
- Louise Frederica Augusta Cavendish (née von Alten), Duchess of Devonshire (formerly Duchess of Manchester) (wife)
- Victor Christian William Cavendish, 9th Duke of Devonshire (nephew)
- Lady Louisa Caroline Egerton (née Cavendish) (sister)
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.