George Agar-Ellis, 1st Baron Dover(1797-1833), A founder of the National Gallery
Sitter associated with 10 portraits
Agar-Ellis campaigned for the purchase of the Angerstein collection, which formed the nucleus of the National Gallery.
- Lucia Caroline Elizabeth (née Agar-Robartes), Lady Bagot (daughter)
- Henry Welbore Agar-Ellis, 2nd Viscount Clifden (father)
- Lady Caroline Agar-Ellis (née Spencer), Viscountess Clifden (mother)
- Henry Agar-Ellis, 3rd Viscount Clifden (son)
- Georgiana Agar-Ellis (née Howard), Baroness Dover (wife)
- George Spencer, 4th Duke of Marlborough (grandfather)
- Lady Caroline Spencer (née Russell), Duchess of Marlborough (grandmother)
- George Spencer-Churchill, 5th Duke of Marlborough (uncle)
- Charlotte Nares (née Spencer) (aunt)
- Lady Elizabeth Spencer (aunt)
- Lord Henry John Spencer (uncle)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.