Frederick Lewis, Prince of Wales(1707-1751), Son of George II; father of George III
Sitter associated with 35 portraits
The eldest son of George II and father of George III, he first came to England in 1728. On notoriously bad terms with his parents, he died in 1751 before he could succeed to the throne leaving his son to be crowned George III in 1760. A considerable patron of both painting and music.
by Bartholomew Dandridge
oil on canvas, circa 1732
- Prince Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge (grandson)
- Princess Amelia Sophia Eleanora (sister)
- Anne, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (sister)
- Augusta of Saxe-Gotha, Princess of Wales (wife)
- Princess Augusta Charlotte, Duchess of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttell (daughter)
- Caroline Wilhelmina of Brandenburg-Ansbach (mother)
- Princess Caroline Elizabeth (sister)
- Caroline Matilda, Queen of Denmark (daughter)
- Edward Augustus, Duke of York and Albany (son)
- Princess Elizabeth Caroline (daughter)
- Henry Frederick, Duke of Cumberland and Strathearn (son)
- King George I (grandfather)
- King George II (father)
- King George III (son)
- Prince George William (brother)
- William Frederick, 2nd Duke of Gloucester (grandson)
- Louisa, Queen of Denmark (sister)
- Princess Louisa Anne (daughter)
- Princess Mary of Hesse (sister)
- Sophia Dorothea of Celle (grandmother)
- William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (brother)
- Prince William Henry, 1st Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh (son)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.