King George I(1660-1727), Reigned 1714-27
Sitter associated with 54 portraits
The great-grandson of James I, he became King in 1714 at the death of Queen Anne under the terms of the Act of Settlement which was designed to ensure a Protestant succession. His coronation was followed by the ill-prepared 1715 Jacobite Rising in Scotland. A distinguished soldier and Elector of Hanover from 1698, George I continued to spend much of his time at Hanover after his accession to the British throne. (The Elector was one of the princes who elected the German King who was then crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope).
More on King George I: Monarchs range in our Shops | Kings & Queens range in our Shops
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
- Princess Amelia Sophia Eleanora (granddaughter)
- Anne, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (granddaughter)
- Princess Caroline Elizabeth (granddaughter)
- Prince Ernest Augustus, Duke of York and Albany (brother)
- Frederick Lewis, Prince of Wales (grandson)
- King George II (son)
- Prince George William (grandson)
- Sophia Charlotte of Hanover (sister)
- Louisa, Queen of Denmark (granddaughter)
- Princess Mary of Hesse (granddaughter)
- Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover (mother)
- Sophia Dorothea of Celle (wife)
- Sophia Dorothea, Queen of Prussia (daughter)
- William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (grandson)
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.