King George I(1660-1727), Reigned 1714-27
Sitter associated with 53 portraits
The great-grandson of James I, he became King in 1714 at the death of Queen Anne under the terms of the Act of Settlement which was designed to ensure a Protestant succession. His coronation was followed by the ill-prepared 1715 Jacobite Rising in Scotland. A distinguished soldier and Elector of Hanover from 1698, George I continued to spend much of his time at Hanover after his accession to the British throne. (The Elector was one of the princes who elected the German King who was then crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the Pope).
Watch a film clip on the sitter from the BBC Archive in the Media section below
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
- Princess Amelia Sophia Eleanora (granddaughter)
- Anne, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (granddaughter)
- Princess Caroline Elizabeth (granddaughter)
- Prince Ernest Augustus, Duke of York and Albany (brother)
- Frederick Lewis, Prince of Wales (grandson)
- King George II (son)
- Prince George William (grandson)
- Sophia Charlotte of Hanover (sister)
- Louisa, Queen of Denmark (granddaughter)
- Princess Mary of Hesse (granddaughter)
- Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover (mother)
- Sophia Dorothea of Celle (wife)
- Sophia Dorothea, Queen of Prussia (daughter)
- William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland (grandson)
Make a donation
Support our Making History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .