King George IV(1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30
Sitter associated with 273 portraits
George, Prince of Wales was given no official duties by his father King George III. Jockeying for power, he sought to undermine the King by siding with the Whig opposition led by Charles James Fox. When the King went temporarily insane in 1788 William Pitt, the Tory Prime Minister, proposed a restricted Regency to protect the King's interests. The King's recovery three months later ended the 'Regency Crisis'. The Regency Bill was revived during the King's final illness. George was sworn Regent in 1811 and crowned King in 1820. Vain, self-indulgent and debauched he was, however, a man of exceptional taste and style who is best remembered for his magnificent patronage of the arts.
More on King George IV: Monarchs range in our Shops | Kings & Queens range in our Shops
by Thomas R. Poole
wax relief, 1795
by Crowhurst of Brighton
silhouette, circa 1827
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
by Richard Houston, published by Robert Sayer, after Robert Pyle
mezzotint, mid 1760s
by James Watson, after Katharine Read
mezzotint, circa 1765-1770
by Robert Laurie, published by Robert Sayer
mezzotint, published 10 January 1772
- Prince Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge (brother)
- Princess Amelia (sister)
- Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick (wife)
- Charlotte Augusta Matilda, Princess Royal (sister)
- Princess Charlotte Augusta of Wales (daughter)
- Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (mother)
- Princess Elizabeth, Landgravine of Hesse-Homburg (sister)
- Ernest Augustus, Duke of Cumberland and King of Hanover (brother)
- Maria Anne Fitzherbert (née Smythe) (wife)
- Frederick, Duke of York and Albany (brother)
- King George III (father)
- Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (brother)
- Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester (sister)
- Prince Octavius (brother)
- Princess Augusta Sophia (sister)
- Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (brother)
- King William IV (brother)
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.