Henrietta Maria(1609-1669), Queen of Charles I
Sitter associated with 88 portraits
The youngest daughter of Henry IV of France and Marie de Medici, Henrietta Maria married Charles I in 1625. Her Catholicism alienated many of her English subjects. She gave strong, loving support to Charles I during his troubles, and practical assistance during the Civil War by personally bringing munitions from France, and pawning her jewellery to raise funds.
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
by Renier Persyn
line engraving, mid 17th century
- Princess Anne (daughter)
- King Charles I (husband)
- King Charles II (son)
- Prince Charles (son)
- Princess Elizabeth (daughter)
- Henrietta Anne, Duchess of Orleans (daughter)
- Henry, Duke of Gloucester (son)
- Isabella Stuart (granddaughter)
- King James II (son)
- Prince James Francis Edward Stuart (grandson)
- Princess Louisa Maria Theresa Stuart (granddaughter)
- Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (daughter)
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.