Henrietta Maria(1609-1669), Queen of Charles I
Sitter associated with 88 portraits
The youngest daughter of Henry IV of France and Marie de Medici, Henrietta Maria married Charles I in 1625. Her Catholicism alienated many of her English subjects. She gave strong, loving support to Charles I during his troubles, and practical assistance during the Civil War by personally bringing munitions from France, and pawning her jewellery to raise funds.
by Henry Hering
albumen carte-de-visite photomontage, 1862
by Renier Persyn
line engraving, mid 17th century
- Princess Anne (daughter)
- King Charles I (husband)
- King Charles II (son)
- Prince Charles (son)
- Princess Elizabeth (daughter)
- Henrietta Anne, Duchess of Orleans (daughter)
- Henry, Duke of Gloucester (son)
- Isabella Stuart (granddaughter)
- King James II (son)
- Prince James Francis Edward Stuart (grandson)
- Princess Louisa Maria Theresa Stuart (granddaughter)
- Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (daughter)
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!