George Vane-Tempest, 5th Marquess of Londonderry(1821-1884), Businessman, diplomat and Conservative politician; MP for North Durham
Sitter associated with 6 portraits
by Charles Rolls, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
line engraving, 1832 (1828)
by Sir Leslie Ward
chromolithograph, published in Vanity Fair 11 November 1876
- Alexandrina Louisa Maud (née Vane-Tempest-Stewart), Viscountess Allendale (daughter)
- Charles William Vane-Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry (father)
- Frances Anne Vane, Marchioness of Londonderry (mother)
- Mary Cornelia (née Edwards), Marchioness of Londonderry (wife)
- Lord (Herbert Lionel) Henry Vane-Tempest (son)
- Lord Henry John Vane-Tempest (son)
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.