Dante Gabriel Rossetti(1828-1882), Painter and poet
Sitter in 29 portraits
Artist associated with 22 portraits
Rossetti was a painter and poet; studied at the Royal Academy where he began translating Dante. He was a founding member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood (1848), and closely associated with Edward Burne-Jones and William Morris. After the death of his first wife and model Elizabeth Siddal, Rossetti would rekindle a long and complicated relationship with his model, muse, and wife of his friend William, Jane Morris, whom he met whilst working on the Oxford Union murals. Images of Jane filled his pictures and poems, creating the Pre-Raphaelite image of the 'femme fatale'.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti: Dante Gabriel Rossetti featured in augmented reality app
by Lewis Carroll
albumen print, 7 October 1863
- Oliva Frances Madox Agresti (née Rossetti) (niece)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (sister)
- Elizabeth Eleanor Rossetti (née Siddal) (wife)
- Frances Mary Lavinia Rossetti (née Polidori) (mother)
- Maria Francesca Rossetti (sister)
- Mary Elizabeth Madox Rossetti (niece)
- Michael Ford Rossetti (nephew)
- William Michael Rossetti (brother)
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.