William Michael Rossetti(1829-1919), Critic and writer
Sitter in 9 portraits
Dante Gabriel's brother, and a civil servant from 1845, William Michael was a founder member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. He had virtually no leanings towards painting but acted as Secretary to the PRB and editor of its short-lived journal, The Germ. In later years he established himself as a leading literary critic and acted as a stabilising influence on his brother's increasingly erratic lifestyle.
More on William Michael Rossetti: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle book in our Shops
copy by Howard M. King
bromide print, 2 January 1895
by James Russell & Sons
albumen cabinet card, circa 1907
- Oliva Frances Madox Agresti (née Rossetti) (daughter)
- John William Polidori (uncle)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (sister)
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (brother)
- Frances Mary Lavinia Rossetti (née Polidori) (mother)
- Maria Francesca Rossetti (sister)
- Mary Elizabeth Madox Rossetti (daughter)
- Michael Ford Rossetti (son)
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .