William Michael Rossetti(1829-1919), Critic and writer
Sitter in 9 portraits
Dante Gabriel's brother, and a civil servant from 1845, William Michael was a founder member of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. He had virtually no leanings towards painting but acted as Secretary to the PRB and editor of its short-lived journal, The Germ. In later years he established himself as a leading literary critic and acted as a stabilising influence on his brother's increasingly erratic lifestyle.
More on William Michael Rossetti: The Pre-Raphaelite Circle book in our Shops
copy by Howard M. King
bromide print, 2 January 1895
by James Russell & Sons
albumen cabinet card, circa 1907
- Oliva Frances Madox Agresti (née Rossetti) (daughter)
- John William Polidori (uncle)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti (sister)
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti (brother)
- Frances Mary Lavinia Rossetti (née Polidori) (mother)
- Maria Francesca Rossetti (sister)
- Mary Elizabeth Madox Rossetti (daughter)
- Michael Ford Rossetti (son)
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.